Sunday, April 11, 2010

Cornbread-coated Catfish



I remember eating catfish when I was younger. My mother used to make it chinese-style--steamed with green onions, ginger and soy sauce. Now that we're grown ups, I realized we don't have to steam our food anymore. We can have fun with it. Even though it makes for a healthy meal, this is more fun!

Did you know Safeway gives away recipe cards? I found this interesting one when C requested that I make some fish. I figure, this is breaded fish but at least it's not frozen.

Try this Cornbread-coated Catfish with Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice:

Cornbread-coated Catfish
1/2 cup Italian Salad dressing
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups cornbread stuffing mix
1 lb catfish fillets

1. In a shallow dish combine salad dressing and eggs; mix well. Place stuffing crumbs in a food processor; process until finely ground; place in a second shallow dish. Coat fillets evenly in dressing mixture, then coat evenly in crumbs. Place fillets on a wax paper lined platter; cover and chill up to 4 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange fillets on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

There was also a recipe for a cucumber sauce (but I went sans the cucumber sauce).

1 cup seeded, chopped cucumber
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp. horseradish
1/4 tsp. salt

For cucumber sauce, in a small bowl combine above ingredients and mix well. Cover and chill at least 15 minutes before serving. (May be made several hours ahead.)

1 comment:

bradcrandall1 said...

I've had catfish that is coated with like corn meal but not cornbread. I think the cornbread is a good idea though because it might add a bit more sweetness to the dish. Another thing that is good about this recipe is that cornbread and catfish are relatively cheap to buy at the store also.