Sunday, February 14, 2010

Thai Green Curry with Chicken and Shrimp

I don't know about you, but every once in a while I get a craving for thai food. I defrost some frozen boneless chicken breasts (it's the easiest), and also some pre-cooked frozen shrimp. (Reminder: Don't run water over your frozen cooked shrimp--it says so on the bag.) Also, a curry is a good way to get rid of the veggies in your fridge. Usually, I make a special trip out to the store to get some fresh red and/or green bell peppers, mushrooms, potatoes, and for the seasoning I usually put in some basil and green onions (if I have it) at the end.

Here's the gist of my thai curry recipe, but there are plenty of varieties. You don't have to stick strictly to the recipe.

Thai Green Curry with Chicken and Shrimp

one 14 oz. can coconut milk
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/3 cup chicken broth

1/2 to 1 tbsp green curry paste
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
handful of frozen cooked shrimp (tails-on is ok)
1/2 red and/or green bell peppers, cubed
yellow or white potatoes cubed (it adds to the thickness of the curry, optional)
sliced mushrooms, about 1/4 inch thick
medium yellow onion, cubed
other veggies to consider: carrots, celery, snow peas
basil for garnish (optional)

Season the cubed chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a frying pan and brown the chicken. Then set to the side.

Put a little bit of oil in a stock pot and throw in the veggies--start with the onions, then bell peppers, carrots, and celery. Stir fry for a couple of minutes. Then return the chicken to the pot. Add the can of coconut milk and simmer over medium heat. Add the fish sauce and brown sugar and chicken broth. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. In the last couple minutes, add the pre-cooked, thawed shrimp, and cook until warmed.

Serve over rice with fresh basil.



1 comment:

bradcrandall1 said...

I wish I wasn't so lazy or I would try and make some Thai foods. I really like tum yum and tum ka soups and have found fairly simple recipes but never got to the point of making it.

If I made this, I think I would have added kaffir lime leaves and lemon grass to add extra flavors. Cilantro or chopped thai chilis might be good too.