Sunday, April 11, 2010

Peach/Mixed Fruit Crisp


Here's what I love about crisps... I was visiting my sister in Seattle some years ago (pre-niece time;o) _) and she had a bunch of fruit in her fridge. We decided to make a crisp that night and we pretty much threw every fruit we could find that was about to go bad. She was working in Yakima (that's in Washington), and my sister had access to some fresh fruit. I think my first crisp had apples, peaches, berries... honestly, I can't remember the combination we came up with, but it was sooo good!! Slam a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and you're good to go!

A few crisps later... I decided this was food blog worthy. It was my aunt's birthday recently, and I thought, dinner was taken care of. So I'll make her one of my (famous) fruit crisps!!
I failed to bring my recipe with me back to San Francisco, so I had to make due with what I could.

Here's the "original" recipe that I made once for a BBQ:
PLEASE NOTE: I almost never use the same fruit in my crisps. And I've sampled a few different kinds of granola. In honor of one of my favorite cooking shows--America's Best Test Kitchen--I can tell you, well, actually, I don't remember the very first granola and/or rolled oats I used in the one I made for/with my sister. But in the following two, I believe I got Cranberry Almond granola from Safeway, but I would say the best thing to do is use a granola without the dried fruit--your dessert eaters may be happier without 'em. I guess you can always pick them out, or just buy granola in bulk, it's cheaper and you can easily buy just enough for what you need. P.S. I have to admit that my favorite part of the crisp is the brown sugar with granola topping--I'd say in whatever crisp recipe you choose, double the topping recipe. (You won't be sorry!)

Blueberry Crisp
1 and 1/2 pints of blueberries
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup dry instant oatmeal or granola
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
butter (for the pan) or if you want to be healthy, 6 tbsp. Smart Balance 50/50 sticks-softened
complimentary fruits: white peaches/nectarines (skinned and sliced thin), granny smith apples, blackberries, raspberries, pears or maybe apple-pears (I stay away from strawberries and oranges.)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place berrries and fruit in greased (I always use) 9" x 13" pan or 8" x 8" square or 8" x 11" rectangular glass baking dish.

2. Blend remaining ingredients until crumbly but not mushy. Add the butter last.

3. Sprinkle mixture over the fruit mixture.

4. Bake 30-35 minutes until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown.

A variation I used for my aunt's birthday came from this recipe:
Peach Crisp
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Peach-Crisp-108419

You use orange juice in this one!!



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Your blog makes me hungry. Ok i don't know how to do this but here is my recipe share...

Caramelized Five Onion Soup

1 clove garlic
2 shallots (2 ounces total)
3 Spanish onions (1-½ pounds total), and cut in half vertically
2 red onions (1 pound total), and cut in half vertically
2 leeks, about 1-inch in diameter, trimmed and well-cleaned*, cut in 2-inch lengths
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1½ teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
3 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
5 cups vegetable stock or broth (chicken or beef may also be used)
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 ounces Asiago cheese, cut in ½-inch cubes
2 ounces imported Gruyère cheese
2 ounces Jarlsberg cheese (reduced fat may be used)
6 green onions, washed, dried and trimmed, then cut into 1-inch pieces

Chop onions and garlic. Heat the butter and olive oil in a 5quart stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onions; stir to coat with the butter and olive oil. Lower the heat, cover loosely, and allow the onions to cook over low heat for 10 to 12 minutes to soften. Add the sugar and the salt, stir to combine, and cook the onion mixture over low heat for 25 to 35 minutes to caramelize, stirring every 4 or 5 minutes. The onions should become the color of toffee. Sprinkle with the flour. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring. While stirring, add the stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, loosely covered, for 30 minutes. Add the pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Serve the soup in warmed bowls topped with a slice of the toasted French bread, a sprinkling of the cheeses, and topped with the chopped green onion. If desired, the bowls may be placed under a broiler or in a hot oven to melt the cheeses, if you do this, be sure to use ovenproof bowls.

bradcrandall1 said...

My grandma makes stuff like this. Nothing like whole fruits with extra sugar added!


@Olivia-> Your onion soup recipe looks good. The cheese is definitely what makes the dish on that one.

uncle tim said...

i have this wonderful easy to make on the spot dish; to help with thickening try a spoon full of jam and lessen the refined stuff ... tio

Anonymous said...

a wonderful go to dessert on the go or away (seattle), rid the frig of way past ripe fruit, counter top fruit bowl... and end of the jar jams and jellies! tio