Sunday, February 14, 2010

Spaghetti and Turkey Meatballs

It's winter again and how come all I can think about is comfort foods. If you don't know what "comfort foods" are, they're the kinds of stews, things drowned in gravy, and HOT foods you eat that give you that warm feeling inside. This might be one of those dinners that gave me that warm feeling inside.

Try this turkey meatball recipe from Giada from Food Network:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/mini-turkey-meatballs-recipe/index.html

Turkey Meatballs

1 small onion, grated
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large egg
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
3 tbsp ketchup
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 lb. ground dark turkey
3 tbsp. olive oil
26 oz marinara sauce

Boil the water for the spaghetti. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Add the onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, parsley, Parmesan, Romano, salt and pepper to a large bowl and blend. Mix in the turkey. Shape the turkey mixture into 1 1/4 inch diameter meatballs and place on a large baking sheet. Drizzle or brush olive oil over all the meatballs.

[Hopefully, you have put your spaghetti in the pot.]

(My sister taught me this trick.) You can either cook them in a frying pan, or bake them in the oven for about 20-25 minutes. The baking time depends on the leanness of the turkey used in the meatballs. Variations: Sometimes I mix ground beef with lean ground turkey--the ground beef helps to keep the meatballs from falling apart.

Served with spaghetti or mashed potatoes.

This meal might easily become a once a week tradition;o)


2 comments:

bradcrandall1 said...

I like to bake the meatballs. I don't like turkey in some things (like bacon), buy turkey meatballs works well.

I like to salt and oil my pasta water to help season the pasta and keep it from sticking. I also like to save some left over pasta liquid after draining it from the cooked pasta. You can re-add some of it if the pasta is too dry.

jaxie22 said...

Nice! Thanks for the tip, Brad!! That's a really good one about the oil in the water--sometimes I forget to do it after taking the pasta out of the water, so that would save time if I put it straight in in the beginning.