Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tasty Travels with Jackie Part II: Section A--SF Outside Lands

With my return to food blogging, I will spare you of my apologies and just get right to it. Cooking is like riding a bike, right? You never forget? But truth be told I haven't cooked in a while... More accurately, I haven't cooked anything new in a while. The good news is: I have had GREAT food while out and about. So, in my return, I will be telling you all about where I've been and what I've eaten this summer. Please feel free to comment and share your own summer stories.

1st STOP: SF Outside Lands Festival--where there's not only music, but also a sampling of food from some great San Francisco restaurants, AND this place they call the Winehaven!





I have a secret love for Southern comfort foods--such as fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, collard greens, and occasionally some fried catfish. The Chef recommended Farmer Brown's to me. It appears a little more upscale than your usual greasy spoon--course I'm only going by the photos I saw on the website. I have yet to experience the restaurant, but I got a taste at the festival.

To explain the photo I was trying to create (top photo): It's supposed to be symbolic of my choice between two things that I long for... New Orleans cuisine (because I'm always searching for ways to improve my gumbo and I *heart* spicy foods) versus Southern food.

Like most people that are travelling in pairs... In the end, M and I decided to go half-sies on the two dishes: I went to get the Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya and M got the Fried Chicken and Mac and Cheese from Farmer Brown's. That's really the only way to go... if you want to taste everything!

My critique: Yat's Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya was good... spicy but that's how I like my jambalaya. It wasn't the sausage so I'm curious to what kinds of spices I can use to achieve that taste.
The fried chicken and macaroni and cheese from Farmer Brown's was good--it had a really clean and almost organic taste to it... Know what I mean?

Last but not least, I NEED to tell you about the organic S'mores I had (see picture above). If you don't know what an organic s'more is... well, lemme tell ya. Start with an organic graham cracker, then stack bittersweet chocolate and homemade marshmallow. It's from this company called Charles Chocolates, and I'm not sure if you'll be able to get this particular product from a store, but you can order it from their online store on their website: http://www.charleschocolates.com

2 comments:

bradcrandall1 said...

I want to say that my favorite Mac & Cheese is from Mason's in downtown Sacramento (www.theparkdowntown.com
). I use to get it at lunch for about $8 and always had left overs because it was so rich and delicious with a nice bread crumb crust on top.

Also, I want to give a shot out to "M"!

Unknown said...

Your doing a fabulous job on the blog...keep up the good work!!

Thanks for the shout out B...