Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Beef Curry (Chinese Style?)












So... I'm taking yet another page out of my childhood in making this dish. My mom used to buy this curry mix... It's very specific--House brand Vermont Curry Sauce mix. They make a variety of spiciness--I chose "Medium Hot" for this dish. Also note, this curry does not have coconut milk in it.

Basically, I just used the recipe off the box, and added a couple more veggies. I used beef chuck for the cut of meat--it came out a lil chewy for the type of curry stew I wanted. Maybe I'll try brisket next time... mmm... sounds yummy.

Beef Curry
1 (4.4 oz.) box of House Vermont Curry Sauce mix
1 1/4 lb. beef chuck, cubed
1/2 onion, cubed

1 large potato, cubed
3 stalks of celery, sliced

1 carrot, sliced


Brown onions, celery, and carrots with a little bit of butter. Add meat and potatoes to the saucepan until lightly browned. Add 3 1/2 cups water and bring to full boil. REmove from heat. Break curry sauce mix into pieces and add to saucepan. Cook over low heat about 20 minutes or until curry thickens. Serve over cooked rice (or pasta).

3 comments:

bradcrandall1 said...

Is this the first post we actually got to see the chef?

jaxie22 said...

no... :o) you should look back--I'm in the post about my signature dishes... mmm... that reminds me--I haven't made rice krispie treats in a long time!

Anonymous said...

THIS SHOULD BE BANNED BY THE FDA; ITS GOOD AND SHOULD ONLY BE EATEN BY PEOPLE UNDER THE AGE OF 30 !!! Uncle tim