Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tasty Travels with Jackie Part II: Section B--The Anti-Happy Hour



If you didn't drink and you were about to fast for the next 30 days, what would you do?? My friends and I went to get pizza and the best dessert in town.



Put on your list of Places to go in Sacramento:
Luigi's Slice (Midtown--J St)
Rick's Dessert Diner (voted one of Sacramento magazine's favorite dessert places)


I don't care what or who you believe, Luigi's slices of pizza are comparable to Blondie's Pizza (from the Bay Area). No... it's bigger--the slices I mean! I said comparable, not the same. And please don't ask why I thought I could have two slices. My first choice of slice was their veggie pizza. Two words: simply good. It had mushrooms, olives, green bell peppers, and onions. Then I had to go with the meat lover's slice--that put me over the top: pepperoni, sausage, salami, and turkey bacon.

THEN, we headed over to Rick's Dessert Diner. See picture for reference. Going from right to left: Strawberry Amaretto Poppyseed cake a la Mode, and the other, the Black and White cake, which is "Chocolate sour cream layers filled with vanilla Butter cream iced in chocolate ganache." Unfortunately you can't quite taste the amaretto in the cake. The poppyseed cake and the strawberry filling in between the layers of cake were enough taste to go around. The chocolate cake is a very balanced way to do a chocolate cake. You could tell that the cake had sour cream in it because it was so moist yet still somewhat denser than regular cake. The vanilla butter cream in between the layers keeps the dessert from being too chocolatey.

1 comment:

bradcrandall1 said...

Better than Luigi's or Blondie's, I have to say that my favorite pizza place is Escape From New York Pizza on Haight St (San Fran) near Golden Gate Park. I had the most wonderful roasted garlic clove and potato pizza there once that was totally unique and amazing. Gotta holla at my boyz at Toppingz in Sacramento too of course...they're my local favorite!