Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Shrimp Etouffee Recipe



Happy 2009 everybody!!

It's still winter and it's still cold. I continue with my theme for this winter... don't ALL cooking shows do some sort of Comfort Foods special. So when I was a kid, my mom used to make this killer Etouffee recipe! She used real crab and tons of shrimp and lots of butter and lots of... what do they call that... oh yeah, LOVE. (keehee) It's really jus some kind of seafood stew that you serve over rice. It's not as spicy as gumbo, unless you make it that way.

If you want to get technical about it: When I google "etouffee", here's what I came up with... "Etouffee is a Creole and Cajun dish typically served with shellfish or chicken over rice, similar to gumbo". There's more... but need I say more...

Here's the link to the recipe that I found:
http://www.nolacuisine.com/2006/12/28/shrimp-etouffee-recipe/

I have a confession to make... Occasionally, I have a slight over-seasoning problem. I can even tell you exactly what happened this time. I was being a good cook and tasting while I was cooking... you know, making sure the sauce was coming along the way I wanted it. Anyways, so I'm coming close to the end and I'm thinking... there's not enough creole taste to it. So I put a lil more creole seasoning in to the pot--what I didn't realize was that the shrimp AND the crab (before I have cooked them up) where "marinating in that same seasoning... In the end, people seemed happy with it... but I grumbled to myself. Next time, NO canned crab and careful with the creole seasoning!!

1 comment:

mamacita said...

I got to your recipe but the version i made for you was from saveur magazine. mom