Monday, December 29, 2008

Chicken Piccata


So... my brother used to be known for making chicken parmigiana, and I figure I gotta get me a good chicken dish to get known for. I'm flipping thru my America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook and I come across the Chicken Piccata recipe. I remembered I have capers in my fridge. He would also be so proud... I used free-range chicken too!!

For those of you who do not have a Cooks Illustrated magazine subscription:

Chicken Piccata

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
8 thin, boneless chicken breast cutlets (4 oz's each)
salt and pepper

4 tbsp vegetable oil

1 shallot, minced

1 garlic clove, minced

1 cup chicken broth

1/2 large lemon, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons (and ends discarded)

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (1 1/2 lemons)

2 tbsp capers, rinsed

tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces, chilled

2 tbsp minced fresh parsley


Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 200 degrees.

Spread the flour in a shallow dish. Pat the cutlets dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. Dredge through the flour to coat and shake off any excess.


Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a 12-inch skillet over med-high heat until just smoking. Add half of the cutlets and cook until light golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining oil and cutlets.


Add the shallot and garlic to the oil left in the skillet and cook over medium heat until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the broth and lemon slices, scraping up any browned bits, and simmer until reduced and slightly syrupy, about 8 minutes.


Stir in the lemon juice, capers, and any accumulated chicken juice. Turn the heat to low and whisk in the butter, one piece at a time. Off the heat, stir int he parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the sauce over the chicken before serving.

No comments: