Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Pork Loin with Bay Leaves












I realized that if you were reading this blog you might think that I'm some sort Food Network endorser... but all I can say is that I have a pretty good success rate with finding recipes on the Food Network website. My searches are usually of dishes with ingredients that I've always wanted to cook with, or if I've heard about a certain kind of dish--I look it up and try to make it.

This was the second time I've done Pork Loin with Bay Leaves. Currently, there is an excess of dried bay leaves in my pantry... and I remembered how good this tasted the first time. So I got myself to the market and bought a 2-pounder! (what?! that's all they had! honest!) Turned out... it was perfect for dinner for four.

Nigella Lawson's Loin of Pork with Bay Leaves:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/loin-of-pork-with-bay-leaves-recipe/index.html

...coupled with Rachael Ray's Roasted Potatoes with Rosemary:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/roasted-baby-potatoes-with-rosemary-recipe/index.html

So for these two recipes, I stuck close to the recipes. Unfortunately, I have not consulted my wine guy about what kind of cooking wines I should be keeping in my fridge (*hint *hint)... so often times when the recipe calls for wine (and if I have it) I throw a lil grape juice in the gravy... hahaha* (I'm laughing with you, because I know how silly it sounds). This time it was cranberry juice. It works because it gives the au jus-like-gravy for the pork a deeper taste than if you were to add water--you know what I mean? For the potatoes, I would advise just leaving it in the oven for as long as the potatoes take. I don't know about you but I like my roasted red potatoes nice and toasty, with a lil bit of crunch.

Oh, and in case you're wondering what else is on that plate. It's Roasted String Beans
and Red Bell Peppers (Kris was right, they're Chinese long string beans!) . I chopped the string beans into 3-4 inch segments and sliced the bell pepper thinly. I tossed them with a little bit of olive oil and some salt and pepper. In about the last 10 minutes of the pork cooking, I just shifted over the potatoes and threw 'em on the same baking pan. You can give them a toss at about 5 minutes in.

Just an ordinary dinner on a Thursday night;o) Sipping Newcastle and staying in to eat!

No comments: