Saturday, April 26, 2008

Lemon Thyme Sauce Served with Pork Chops


SECONDLY: TGIF... I was definitely feeling that way on Friday. That feeling you get when you get home and you're like... oh yeah, I was gonna make pork chops... and I'm thinking to myself... how can I make it different?

So here goes... funny what a lil SAUCE can do for a dish... huh?
I don't really know how to make sauces--I'm still in training... God bless my brother (another great cook in my family--cuz I've already mentioned my uncle) for giving me the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. sidenote: I assure you, I've already tried like 10 things in this thing. It's great!

Anyways, I decided to try this Lemon and Thyme Sauce:

1 tbsp veggie oil
1 shallot, minced
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 tsp's minced fresh thyme (or rosemary or sage)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces and chilled
Salt and pepper

Add oil to the skillet and return to medium-high heat until shimmering. Add shallot and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth and thyme, scraping up brown bits, and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and any accumulated pork juice (from the pork chops--duh!) Turn heat to low and whisk in butter, one piece at a time. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the sauce over the pork before serving.

Notes: I didn't have shallots... so I substituted green onions. Hey... is that the same thing? If the sauce tasted good... it doesn't really matter right? Well... attached is a picture of the sauce--unfortunately, I dug in to my porkchop drenched in the sauce so fast; I... uhhh... hadn't had time to take a picture. You could always try it and send ME the picture! Sharing is caring!

No comments: