Monday, October 24, 2011

Sundance Cafe (Sacramento, CA)


A while back I was talking about a shrimp melt that I had in Seattle... Well, I had to put it up against my local favorite, Sundance Cafe's Shrimp melt. They'll always do it up right for me. I've seen this place go through about three different menus. And I remember this shrimp melt was on the very original menu.

I'm not sure if they put mayonnaise on this one inch bread and I have to ask what kind of cheese they use. But it's just a few bay shrimp with cheese melted on bread. It's making my mouth water thinking about it.


More recently, my experience with Sundance Cafe has been with the lunch specials. I'm pretty sure this is the only place in a 2 block radius that does a daily soup all year round, and I appreciate it. My top lunch specials are:

FIRST, just know that I never know what I'm going to order when I walk in... My only usual order is the iced Mexican mocha--for some reason it's my favorite... I think because they use Ghiradelli chocolate in their mochas. Anyways, back to the food. I cannot tell you how deep rooted my love for Chicago dogs are. But they actually had decided to make Chicago dogs that day. (This will only be the second time I've wikipedia'd something on this blog.) 


If you don't know what's in a Chicago-styled dog, take a look:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_hot_dog 

Granted, it was the "Sundance version" of a Chicago but it was so delicious. I don't always like pickles, but when it comes a Chicago dog, it's just laying in the bun with the dog. Also, I like the wedges of tomato, and I like how Sundance substituted the "sport peppers" with pepperoncini peppers. Technically, it's not the same, but it still tasted good. And finally, their lunch specials always come with a side. This day was the bombest chili I've ever tasted. I think I loved it so much because it was chunky, a little sweet, giant red beans... mmm.


SECONDLY, I was in there recently and I got the chicken double-cheese quesadilla with a side of... wait for it... tomato bisque. It was the best combo one could think of. It's like having a grilled cheese with tomato soup. All you need is a side of guac and sour cream to the quesadilla (which I got)... And oh yeah, I dipped a quesadilla in my soup! It was sooo goood!

Now I don't have pictures of these devoured lunch specials, you'll have to check them out for yourself!
Sundance Cafe 455 Capitol Mall, Sacramento


No comments: