Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tasty Travels with Jackie Part II: Section D--Aioli Bodega Espanola


Saving the best for last... A and I had our last supper at Aioli Bodega Espanola in Davis, a.k.a. the tapas and sangria place in Davis, California. We ordered a decanter of sangria to start with. Generally, they have a very extensive tapas menu. If it's your first time, it may take you an extra moment to take it all in and decide which dish(es) you will try. And you will definitely want to return to try something different.

We ordered three dishes: (Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly what dishes we ordered--but I can describe them to you.) Shrimp with jalapenos and cilantro, Lamb with pearl onions, vinegar dates sauce (sounds as good as it tastes), and of course, we had to have an order of paella. Everything was so good. And yes, the two of us finished with the sangria!My favorite dish of the three may be the lamb with the dates, because it wasn't what I expected. The sauce was a lil sweet (of course, with all the dates cooked in to it), but it had a lil spice if I remember.

And we always have to leave room for dessert! We passed on the dessert that they had to offer at the restaurant. And instead, enjoyed (decaf--yes, Jackie actually had decaf coffee) coffee and cakes at Ciocolat in Davis. I believe A ordered the Chocolate Decadence cake--which is not just mousse on cake--it's the most heavenly chocolate cake I've ever had, and I ordered the something with fruit in it. I've broke and decided to look it up--I believe it was the Tropical Mousse cake which has passion fruit coconut mousee on top of a white cake (unfortunately, both these desserts are not pictured.) We joked about the chocolate mousse on top of a chocolate espresso cake--that I was getting the caffeine that wasn't in my coffee out of the cake. Funny how it turned out that I liked A's cake more, and she mine;o)

It was a lovely evening! Feel free to comment or suggest on the last lovely evening you enjoyed.
Yay for tapas, sangria, and chocolate decadence!!

No comments: