Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Look mom, lots o' veggies!!

I thought to myself what's a good Monday meal... something easy cuz I didn't really feel like cooking something as extravagant as gumbo the gumbo I made on Saturday. I decided to make Chicken Stir-fry using a bottled marinade/sauce (I'm bit ashamed to say) and chicken tenders I had in the fridge.

It's a real simple recipe...
Ingredients:
Chicken Tenders meat (find it in a meat dept of the superstore)--I used about 1 pound.
Carrots
Celery
Onions
Red and Green Bell Peppers
Broccoli
Garlic to taste (I used one big clove or two small ones)
Salt and Pepper
(Jasmine) Rice
Oil

Toss all that in a pan and throw it over rice... HAHAHA jus kidding.
Tips: I always do the veggies first then the meat. I marinaded the meat in some store bought teriyaki-type sauce, Mr. Yoshida's Cracked Pepper & Garlic Marinade and Cooking Sauce. I always like to thinly slice the veggies because I think it tastes better. And I cut the meat into thin slices.

Here's how I did it: Heat up some oil in the pan. Throw half the minced garlic in first. Parbroil the broccoli--fry up the broccoli for a minute and add a tablespoon of water (barely covering) and cover til the broccoli turns bright green. Add the onions, celery, carrots, and bell peppers. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat. Add a little bit of oil in the pan--it should already be hot from cooking the vegetables. Put the rest of the garlic and chicken in, then cook until no longer pink. Add the vegetables in at the end and you may add some more sauce (Hint: You can add some chicken broth or water to thin out the sauce--I know I did that this time). Served over rice.

2 comments:

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

Sounds good! I do a similar stir fry. I take raw chicken breast and thinly slice it (about 1/4"). I cook that with some chopped up onions and garlic for about 5 minutes, then throw in sliced mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes. Then I add snap peas, shredded cabbage (important), shredded carrots and water chestnuts. It's an ideal combo because the veggies/chicken are all sliced thin and easy to grab with chopsticks.

On the side I prepare 1 packet of Peanut Sauce Mix by "A Taste of Thai" using 3/4 cup vanilla soymilk and add about 2T of peanut butter to thicken. Then I dump it in the mixture above and serve over a nice crunchy barley, bulgur or soba noodle. I have yet to post a recipe for this whole meal, but I use the sauce mix as a dipping sauce as well, for Curry Chicken Tenders.

- The Peanut Butter Boy

jaxie22 said...

That sounds delicious Nick! Thanks for the post;o)